Thursday, August 27, 2009

Booking Through Thursday (August 27, 2009)




Booking Through Thursday is a weekly event that poses a new book-related each week. Here is this week's question:

What’s the lightest, most “fluff” kind of book you’ve read recently?

This question is really a toughie for me. I don't know if I'm just pretentious in my choice of books--which I sincerely hope is not the case!--or if it's that the only books I view as fluffy are the ones that I don't like, and since I never finish books that I'm not liking by the fiftieth page or so, there's little likelihood of finding the fluff. If forced to pick, I'd go with The Impostor's Daughter by Laurie Sandell. The book was very good, but it was extremely easy, light, fun reading, even in the places where the material became darker.

I suppose that, at the end of the day, I'm reluctant to make distinctions between light and heavy books because the words carry an inherent judgment to them. A "light" book can be meaningful and affect the reader deeply, just as a "heavy" book can simply be a wolf in sheep's clothing. (On that point, Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller comes to mind.) But maybe that's just me!

1 comment: